Virginia Sea Grant and our extension partners help students and teachers connect the coast to their classrooms, bring research to coastal communities, and help people understand their connection to coastal Virginia.
Inspiring the next generation of scientists and environmental stewards starts with education
Our extension with the Marine Advisory Program’s marine education team at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science works with educators, pre-service teachers, researchers, and K-12 students to provide effective, educational resources.
- The Virginia Scientists & Educators Alliance (VA SEA) program creates classroom-ready lesson plans based on the latest science and research projects.
- Teacher workshops equip Virginia’s teachers to bring coastal science to their classrooms through meaningful watershed educational experiences (MWEEs) and student-led investigations.
- Training for pre-service teachers prepares them to bring marine science to their classrooms from the beginning of their teaching career.
- The Bridge Ocean Education website offers thousands of educational resources, including lesson plans, videos, infographics, videos, and additional resources selected for educators and vetted by scientists.
- Our extension partners lead marine education demonstrations, lab tours, and science camps to make coastal science accessible and engaging for students and the public.
Teacher workshops equip Virginia’s teachers to bring coastal science to their classrooms through meaningful watershed educational experiences (MWEEs) and student-led investigations.